- Who we are
Himaland Adventure Treks P. Ltd. is a tour operator/ trekking agency/ travel agency, founded in the year 2000 under registration with Company Registrar Office, Government of Nepal. The overall aim of the company is to organize holiday package trips - trekking, hiking, mountaineering, cultural sight-seeing, excursion tours, nature tour, village home stay etc. in Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet, Darjeeling and Sikkim.
- Company Mission
‘Himaland to be a leading socially responsible trek/tour operator catering quality service with sustained growth in terms of sales volume and market base with solid foundation of happy clients.
Our company sustainable tourism policy is to contribute positively to natural environment, cultural preservation, social best practice and equitable economic development. Therefore, we are committed to promoting sustainability. And also we try to help and encourage all our concerned stakeholders – staff, partners in supply chain, clients and communities to follow the same.
Himaland Tourism Sustainability Policy is based upon the following principles:
- To comply with, and exceed where practicable, all applicable national legislation, regulations and codes of practice.
- To integrate sustainability considerations into all our business decisions.
- To ensure that all staff are fully aware of our Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it.
- To minimize the impact of all our office and travel operation activities.
- To make clients and suppliers aware of our sustainability commitments, and encourage them to adopt sound sustainable management practices.
- To review, annually report, and to continually strive to improve our sustainability performance.
- To ensure accountability and transparency in our sustainability performance.
Our Sustainability Policy is based on 4 core values and 5 areas of sustainable practices throughout our business operations.
(A) Core Values
A,01. Human Rights:
Our company respects and promotes human rights as described in the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights, and we request our suppliers to do the same.
B,02. Labour Standards:
Our company respects and follows national labour standards across our operations. We have a Human Resource policy that describes our internal employment standards in detail.
Our company will take into account our potential impact on the environment and seek to avoid or, where avoidance is not possible, minimize these impacts. Respective policies in this document are put in place to prevent and mitigate adverse impacts on natural, social and cultural environment.
D,04. Anti Corruption:
Our company is committed to applying high standards of honesty and integrity consistently across our operations.
(B) Areas of Sustainable Practice
Our company has developed specific policy guidelines for five main areas where we integrate sustainable practices. These policies fall under the scope of this general Sustainability Policy and are available as separate documents.
B,01. Sustainable Accommodation Policy
Sustainability of an accommodation establishment is of key importance, as it enables our company to extend sustainability practice throughout a core element in our tours / supply chain. In most cases we do not select the accommodation for our clients. In such case, it is our policy to recommend our clients the most sustainable accommodation options within their budget range. When we do have a chance to select the accommodation, we will give strong preference to establishments that follow sustainable practices throughout all aspects of their operation.
In our effort of selecting the most sustainable accommodation providers available, we prefer establishments who follow these core principles:
- The right comfort for the right price
- Fair business
- Minimizes impact on the environment and society
B,02. Sustainable Procurement Policy
We recognize that the types of products and services we buy each have inherent social, human health, environmental and economic impacts. Our company therefore endeavours to make procurement decisions that embody the company’s commitment to sustainability. Responsible procurement will be given systematic consideration alongside factors such as price and quality. We encourage our suppliers to work with us and to improve continuously with respect to the Policy.
Wherever possible, all staff will pursue the following goals and adhere to the specified principles when purchasing products, material and services.
Our Sustainable Procurement Policy has the following core principles:
- Minimal and bulk purchasing
- Fair products
- Sustainable option
B,03. Sustainable Transportation Policy
We recognize that safe and sustainable transportation contributes to the overall experience of our clients and the impact of their journey to our country. Our company therefore endeavors to encourage our clients to consider the most sustainable transport available for their travel route.We encourage our suppliers to work with us and to improve continuously with respect to the Policy.
- Efficient and safe
- Fair mobility
- Minimizes effect on the environment and society
B,04. Sustainable Excursion Policy
One of the most visible aspects of our company’s sustainability to our clients can be found in the arrangement of excursions. Hence, our company takes care of developing and executing excursions in a fully sustainable manner. We will give strong preference to destinations that follow sustainable practices throughout all aspects of their tourism offer and see it as our role to guide destinations towards this.
Wherever possible, all staff will pursue the following goals and adhere to the specified principles when involved in organizing excursions.
- Positive excursions
- Human-biodiversity connect
B,05. Sustainable HR policy
We have employee handbook, a summary of policies, procedures and practices related to human resource management at Himaland Adventure Treks.
HR Management Policy Framework and Employment Legislation:
- HR management policies comply with employment, workplace health and safety, and other related legislation as is applicable in the jurisdiction in which the company operates.
- HR management policies are reviewed on an annual basis and revised if necessary under the final approval of the MD.
- HR management policies are made accessible to employees. One hard copy is available in the office.
The company HR management policy comprises of the following major provisions:
- Getting the Right People
- Employment Equity
- Employee Duties
- Annual Salary
- Hours of Work
- Snack (Nepali Khaja)
- Statutory Holidays
B.05.ii. TIME AWAY FROM WORK
- Vacation Time and Vacation Pay
- Sick Leave
- Compassionate (Kriya) Leave
- Maternity, Parental and Adoptive Leave
- Leave without Pay
- Medical Insurance
- Provident Fund / Citizen Investment Fund
- Loans and Advances
- Performance Bonus
- Festival Bonus
B.05.iv. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Internal opportunities
- External opportunities
- Termination for Cause
B.05.vi. Employer Property
B.05.vii. CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
B.05.viii. WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Freedom of association
- Complaints / Dispute Procedure
- Representation to the Company
B.05.ix. HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Safe Work Environment
- Guidance on Health and Safety
B.05.x. ETHICAL CODE
B.05.xi. DISCIPLINARY AND GRIEVANCE PROCEDURES